Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Ride Begins

 I have done a few shows over the years, some of my own choosing, some not.  Some in a significant capacity, some not.  Most just because I love it.  But you'd think that you might get a bit jaded over time, that some forty years on, the process would become pedestrian, normalized, maybe a little boring.  Yeah.  Well, no.  An emphatic no.

At some point as I approach the start of a project, regardless of how burnt out I am, or tired, or stressed, I always get that tingle, that sense that something extraordinary is going to happen.  That it might be fun, or difficult, or intense but never dreary, never mundane.  I have been lucky enough to never start a show without getting that feeling and I hope I never will.  If I do, that might be the day I move on to do something else.  Could you imagine?  Jacqui without theatre?

Tonight, we audition Wrong For Each Other for Encore Entertainment.  This is the second in my Norm Foster offerings for this season and we are looking for Norah, a highly contained, fussy but surprisingly fun-loving Arts Administrator who falls in love, despite seemingly insurmountable differences, with Rudy, an entrepreneurial house painter.  The marriage fails but a chance meeting of the pair in a restaurant and  their subsequent reminiscences allows us to see the history of their relationship play out.  It's sweet, sentimental.  And despite its simple premise, it will be a challenge to do well.

Every show is.

Okay.  Hey!  What are you hanging on for?  Arms up high.  Eyes wide open.  Here we go.  Wheeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment