Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Just Say Yes

I have, this year, become Ms. Norm Foster.  Mr. Foster had nothing to do with it and I'm sure, given his druthers, he would have chosen someone a bit younger and cuter.  Funnily enough, it wasn't my druthers either.  And maybe I'd like someone younger and cuter, too.  But it is what it is.

Some of you may not recognize Norm's name.  (You may also wonder what I've done with John but have no fear.)  Norm Foster is, quite simply, Canada's most produced playwright.  He was born on February 14, 1949 but wasn't exposed to theatre until 1980 - and he fell in love with it.  Since then, he has written many plays, over forty of which have been produced professionally.  He is most often compared to American playwright Neil Simon and has a knack for writing characters we recognize, laugh with, laugh at, and love.

Well, I didn't really care about this going into Affections of May produced by Scarborough Theatre Guild, my most recent directing effort.  I didn't know that much about Foster, period.  I was just trying to help out the group.  They phoned me, explained the situation (that they needed a Director and folks weren't coming forward for the play), asked me if I'd do it, and - I didn't think about it much - I said yes.  Well, what the heck.  I had a bit of time and could squeeze it in.

So you might expect me to report that the rehearsal and run were not that inspiring, considering I hadn't chosen the play and might not be that emotionally involved.  But a curious thing happened (as always happens when I am given a project as opposed to seek it out), I fell in love with it.  And I fell in love with the people and the experience and ended up having a super time.  The show ran to lovely reviews and the members of the cast and crew I would number, now, amongst my friends.  That's quite a statement from a gypsy like me.

So it was a good experience, excellent in fact.  And I wouldn't have had the chance to do it if I hadn't closed my eyes and jumped.  Now, listen.  I am fully aware that my open attitude toward the work makes me seem undiscerning.  Some might read this, turn up their noses, and pronounce me a whore, but who cares what they think?  Most professional theatre people are a bit whorish.  They'll do pretty much any project to stay in the game because every project is a gift.  It's only pretenders and indie film makers who are too good for the work.  People who love theatre just say yes.  To pretty much anything.

But I suppose it can be the same way in life.  If we're too discerning, too picky, we start to miss out.  I wonder if we all shouldn't be a bit whorish, a bit gourmandish.  Take a huge bite of whatever's on the table.  Go ahead.  It's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment