Monday, May 7, 2012

Mr. Foster, I divorce you. Until next time.

Mr. Foster, I divorce you.

Because of the protracted nature of a community theatre rehearsal schedule, I have been involved in prepping or rehearsing or watching the run of one of your shows for about nine months, now.  Don't take this badly.  These were good shows.  Good.  Affections of May was the first. Produced by Scarborough Theatre Guild, it went up in January of this year and was well received.  Great bunch of folks.  Won itself some nominations.  Nice.  And we just finished Wrong For Each Other for Encore Entertainment yesterday.  Also, well received.  Truly lovely cast.

But I divorce you.

I have new playwrights' heads to inhabit and other projects on the go.  Make no mistake; it was a marvellous love affair but I have to move on.  Call me any name you will but I, definitely, love the one I'm with.

But, listen:  If you come around again, whispering to me with these characters that feel like friends, this dialogue that trips along and volleys back and forth, these jokes that come in surprising places but are still funny not shocking....  If you come around again with your strong, established female characters, your kind male characters, with your basic, honest, believable moments....  If you come around, again....

As I have said before, you, sir, might prefer someone younger and cuter but you will never find someone more devoted.  At least for a time.  Because, when I am done, I will leave you again as flatly as I am doing today.

And, I am sure, you wouldn't have it any other way (not that I am calling you names). As Richard Bach says, "A farewell is necessary before we can meet again."


Jacqui Burke is a freelance director, writer, and theatrical teacher living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  She is currently directing Wrong for Each Other for Encore Productions opening in April, Kidsplay 2012:  The Mayan Prediction opening in June, and The Last Five Years for TOKL Productions opening in July.  She is, also, serializing The Pretender, her first novel, online at http://thepretender-amarcienoelnovel.blogspot.ca/.  She is preparing for two Shakespeare is Boffo! summer camp sessions for 2012.

Want to contact me?

Jacqui Burke
Artistic Director
Jaybird Productions
talk/text:  647-292-0210
twitter:  @jaybird01
skype:   Jacquiburkecell, jacqui.burke
www.wordsnimages.com
www.jaybirdproductions.ca
www.shakespeareisboffo.ca
http://jacquiburke.blogspot.ca
http://thepretender-amarcienoelnovel.blogspot.ca/
http://jaybirdproductions.blogspot.ca/

Ask me about Shakespeare is Boffo! Premium Summer Camps for Kids.  Two installments in 2012:  The Homeschoolers` Version:  11:00 am – 3:30 pm, August 13-17, 2012 for only $125.  Premium Full Day Summer Camp:  9:00 am – 4:00 pm, July 16-20, 2012 for only $155.  Both prices hold until May 15th, 2012.  Spots are going fast.  Register, now at www.shakespeareisboffo.ca

Like what you read?
Encourage me by clicking on one of these ads in this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment