Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Welcome to my boutique....summer camp.

About a week before I was slated to start teaching the March Break Camp this year, I saw the signs.  The ROM was advertising all over town for its summer camps - early in March.  Of  course, my heart sank.  I simply do not have the advertising clout that can be marshaled by a major institution like that. And they were full on, probably expecting to get a ton of registrations during March Break or these weeks following as harried parents scurry to get their kids into quality programs.  Half of those slots will be filled in the next few weeks.  So what the heck do I think I'm doing out here in this crazy competitive market?

The wail of the tiny -- smaller than small -- business person.

 So, in order to keep the chin up, I believe a reiteration of core values is in order:
  • I started these camps in the hope of attracting active kids to the study of theatre in general and Shakespeare in the specific.  How?  Give the kids boffer (soft) swords and let them bash each other about benignly (and then get them to do a bit of performing as well).  It's active.  It's fun.  They love it.  And kids who are active actually learn better.  So, so...
  • I started these camps with the goal of sending kids home tired.  Course it tires me out, too, but what the heck?
  • I started these camps to offer a premium artist-led experience
  • I started these camps to get the kids outside for a significant portion of the day.  Fresh air is good for you. 
 Okay, phew.

 So, if you are looking for a freer, more fluid, and active experience for your child this summer, welcome to my tiny little boutique camp without the boutique price.  How did I manage that?  Not my fault.  I thank my friend Trish O'Reilly at The Open Door for her tireless efforts to make use of empty space at St. David's Anglican Church.  They have a great series of summer programs there -- all at great prices, all artist-driven with low teacher/camper ratios.

I am hoping to have the budget to compete in advertising, at least a little bit, with the more established camps and institutional camps.  Well, maybe next year....  :)


Jacqui Burke is a freelance director, writer, and theatrical teacher living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  She is currently directing Wrong for Each Other for Encore Productions opening in April, Kidsplay 2012:  The Mayan Prediction opening in June, and The Last Five Years for TOKL Productions opening in July.  She is, also, serializing The Pretender, her first novel, online at http://thepretender-amarcienoelnovel.blogspot.ca/.  She is preparing for two Shakespeare is Boffo! summer camp sessions for 2012.

Want to contact me?

Jacqui Burke
Artistic Director
Jaybird Productions
talk/text:  647-292-0210
twitter:  @jaybird01
skype:   Jacquiburkecell, jacqui.burke
www.wordsnimages.com
www.jaybirdproductions.ca
www.shakespeareisboffo.ca
http://jacquiburke.blogspot.ca
http://thepretender-amarcienoelnovel.blogspot.ca/
http://jaybirdproductions.blogspot.ca/

Ask me about Shakespeare is Boffo! Premium Summer Camps for Kids.  Two installments in 2012:  The Homeschoolers` Version:  11:00 am – 3:30 pm, August 13-17, 2012 for only $125.  Premium Full Day Summer Camp:  9:00 am – 4:00 pm, July 16-20, 2012 for only $155.  Both prices hold until May 15th, 2012.  Spots are going fast.  Register, now at www.shakespeareisboffo.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment