Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why I Can't Cast You

Craig Estrella, a musician friend of mine who daylights as some kind of Suit, just posted a pretty good article called "Why I Won't Hire You".  It was funny because I felt like he beat me to the punch. I was formulating this post at that very same time.

I am going into another set of auditions (this time for Encore Entertainment's Wrong For Each Other) so audition technique is on my mind.  I am hoping that, this time, folks might avoid some of these basic errors when they come in to audition for me.

1. Never apologize; never explain.
Folks, come in and give me your best shot boldly and without one word of explanation.  I am pretty smart (most directors are, actually) and whether I have seen you perform or not, I will notice that your throat is hoarse from infection or that you are sniffling or that your nose is raw from kleenex or that your breath is heavy.  I get it when you're sick.  If you were up half the night drinking with your mates, best you come in and sing your raunchiest because I'll probably be able to figure that out, too.  We have so little time together in an audition.  Don't waste it on self-deprecation.

2. Enter the room as if you own it.  Audition for the part as if you already have it.
If you are positive and believe in yourself, I am more likely to believe in you.

3. Smile.
And shake my hand.  Why not?  Maybe even crack a joke.  So few actors are fun at auditions.  Make me want to cast you. 

4. Sing out, Louise.
Incredibly important that you bring to bear a strong stage voice when auditioning. 

5. Have a resume.
Keep the resume to one sheet, if possible.  List all the roles you have played -- as many as possible -- on that sheet.  You might consider tailoring your experience listed on the resume toward the role you are seeking.  As a director of theatre, for example, I don't care that you have done ten student films in the last five years.  The skills you are learning and practicing on set may not stand you well on stage and may have no bearing on what I am going to ask you to do.  I would like to see your stage experience.

6. Oh, and a picture.
Now, a picture is nice for me to remember you by but, please, don't spend too much money on a headshot if you are in Community Theatre.  Here's the thing.  I have never cast from a picture (though professionally you WILL get auditions from your photo; so they are much more important in that milieu).  A picture has never been part of the equation for me.  And I, personally, tend to remember my top candidates.  Now, that's me, though.  I have a bit of a freaky memory where theatre is concerned.  And I know that the picture helps other people on the panel.  So, so.  Bring one. 

7. Have the darn thing memorized.
You need to know your monologue or song well enough that if I, in redirect, turn it on its ear you will not be thrown.

8. But if you do forget....
 If you get lost in the middle (it happens! everybody dries at some point!) and you cannot wiggle your way out of it, stop abruptly, state that you are lost, take a deep breath, and calmly ask to go back to a point that you remember.  You  don't have to go right back to the beginning.

9. Prepare
Best that you have read the script and chosen your part carefully.  Avoid trying to choose a part just from the Call.  Then, tailor your monologue to the part you are hoping to play.  Wear the clothes that you think your character would wear.  Stand how she would.  Talk how she would.  Help me.  I have a lot of decisions to make.  If you make it easy on me, I will be more inclined toward you.

Okay, I am out of time.  I am really looking forward to starting a new project.  Hope to see you out.


No comments:

Post a Comment